If there’s one thing I can thank COVID with all my heart right now, is the time it gave me to test many hours of cooking at home, learning that my forever (and horrible) pancake mission could be finally (at last) a success.
It happened: These are THE best pancakes, ever!
Our weekly ritual the past (almost) 5 weeks has been so typical: coffee, breakfast, get dressed to go nowhere, *try* to work, craft with Nico and Oli, post stories of the food I’d made, the clothes and shoes I’d worn and the little moments I want to remember from this.
But, seriiiiiously, what I have never ever done right, is a good, ol’ fluffy, delicious pancake, true story!
… and, guess what? Maybe I needed a Pandemic lockdown to find the key secrets of pancake business.
Oh hey, perfect pancake: The key secrets
Flour: Did you know that this is the heart of a fluffly, perfect, pancake? The right proportion is essential! Too little flour? A flat mix. Too much? Way too dense. In this recipe, I’ll show you how much, is the perfect amount.
Leaven: What makes our yummy pancakes to rise! In this recipe, we’ll use a bit of both baking soda and baking powder.
Rest time: After you combine all the ingredients together, the secret is to always let your batter rest for at least 15 to 30 minutes at room temperature. It’s the most important “ingredient” to fluffy pancakes!
Don’t over mix: Guilty! I’ve done them mixing for hours, using my blender, and more. A perfect batter will be achieved mixing everything using a rubber spatula, gently, veeeery gently.
Waking up to this? yes, please, world! (we are getting used to it)
PRO pancake tip: you really want to see some lumps and even some small pieces of flour when your batter is combined, YES YES YES!
The Best Pancake Recipe, Ever!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted, melted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Add all the dry ingredients and whisk until they’re combined
- Using a different bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients together
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients
- Gently, mix everything using a rubber spatula, until it is combined (don’t overmix your batter!)
- The egg whites at the end are the secret that will guarantee the perfect fluffy pancakes, Add unwhipped egg whites to the batter, until combined.
- Set your pan on medium heat with 1 TBSP of butter.
- Once the butter starts making bubbles, turn down the heat to medium-low.
- Add the batter, and when you see bubbles puff, it’s time to flip them!