Hooray! we have a very special recipe today on tiny food, savory scones with pepper bacon, feta and fresh herbs.
I discovered scones when I moved to Montreal a few years back, and ever since, I’ve been trying to master a soft, slightly flaky, subtly sweet and not too dense scone. This recipe, will show you how easy it is to cook them at home and how delicious and versatile they are, perfect for a filling snack with hot tea, breakfast or brunch.
… and for real, scones with cheese and bacon? maaaaagic!
You totally know my love for bacon (aka bacon queen over here), and today I’m extremely happy to announce our partnership with our F. Ménard friends this year. In this first recipe, I’ll show you the yummiest pepper bacon (with the best bacon), feta, fresh herbs savory scones making your next meal, a memorable one.
Now, let’s get back to some serious scone-business.
oh hey, here are some savory scones top secrets
- Cold ingredients: The key to flaky scones is baking them when the dough is VERY COLD (cold buttermilk and butter!)
- It’s all about the quality: The quality of each ingredient really matters when you make scones, and I’m beyond happy to have used F. Ménard sliced pepper bacon adding an intense, high quality taste like no other!. Always remember, this is the key to a fresh and delicious scone. Where can you get it? at IGA, here!
- Rubbing-in: mixing the dry ingredients and the butter. Use cold butter and cut it into approx. 1cm each piece. With the tips of your fingers, rub the butter chunks in with the dry ingredients and avoid kneading the scone dough.
You won’t believe how simple it is to make a good scone with a perfect crumbly texture in only 4 easy steps
(scroll all the way down and follow the recipe).
I cut out the scones with a round cookie cutter, dipped into flour before each cut.
They’re best fresh from the oven, but you can also keep them for a few days in an air tight container on the counter and re heat on the oven (never microwave).
Savory scones: feta, pepper bacon and fresh herbs
E S S E N T I A L S
- 250 gr F. Menard sliced pepper bacon
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
D R Y
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
W E T
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Cut the butter in small pieces of approx. 1 cm each and add it to the mixture. Start incorporating with your fingers until you have a fine texture.
- Add the F Menard pepper bacon, feta and fresh herbs, stir to combine. Finish with the buttermilk until the dough is ready (don't over mix).
- Put the dough on a greased parchment paper and mold into small circles forming your scones. Lightly, brush the top of each scone with heavy cream and bake them for 18 to 20 minutes or you see the tops start to brown.
- Remove and serve warm with butter.